Recipe by Darkhunter
This is a recipe from our Sunday supplement American Profile. It is one of the best Spanish rice recipes we've ever had. It freezes well. Just needs a little liquid when heating up.
Top Review by Tisherself
This is a great side dish! We had it with plank grilled salmon, and it was perfect. I only had a red bell pepper, so ours was more monochromatic than it would have been. But, I only had Rotel crushed tomatoes, so we got some flecks of green along with a little rise in temperature. All in all it was delicious. I'm glad it freezes well, because there are only the two of us. We look forward to enjoying it again and again. Thanks AuntSana!
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil or 1⁄3 cup canola oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups long grain rice, uncooked
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 2 medium celery ribs, finely chopped
- 1 (20 ounce) can crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 (14 ounce) can reduced-sodium chicken broth
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add rice and cook until golden, about 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Add onions, bell pepper, celery, tomatoes, cumin, garlic powder, salt and chicken broth.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover tightly, and simmer 30 minutes, or until all liquid is absorbed. Mix well before serving.