Recipe by grouchgirl
This is something I threw together one night after coming home and not knowing what to make for dinner. It is similiar to tamale pie but tasty as well. The nice thing is that it is adaptable to your own tastes.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 cups picante sauce (we prefer medium or hot)
- 1 (15 ounce) can corn (plain or fiesta)
- 1 (8 1/2 ounce) box corn muffin mix
- crushed red pepper flakes
- salt & pepper
- 1 cup Mexican blend cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Prepare corn muffin mix batter, set aside.
- Brown ground beef; drain and rinse grease off.
- Combine picante sauce, beef, corn. Let simmer for about 10-15 minutes.
- Pour mixture into greased casserole dish.
- Top with cheese.
- Pour corn muffin mix over top and spread out to form a "pot pie crust".
- Bake about 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Use the crushed pepper and salt & pepper to taste in the ground beef mixture.
- I also mix in a little cheese and crushed red pepper to the corn bread mixture to give it a little zing!