Top Review by joyhetrick
Fabulous recipe! I follow your recipe, but prepare them in the slow cooker. I turn them to high for 1 hour or until they boil, then I cook them on low for 6 or so hours. I do not soak the beans in advance. From a New Mexican who is hooked on beans, thank you!
- 3 cups dry pinto beans (1-1/2 lb)
- 2 1⁄2 quarts water
- 1 ham bone (Meaty) or 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 lb salt pork or 1⁄4 lb bacon, cubed
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash and pick over the beans, removing loose skins or shriveled beans.
- Put in a large covered pot and cover with hot water.
- Soak over night if you want to cut down on cooking time.
- When beans start to simmer add ham bone, salt pork or bacon.
- Add more water as needed but only hot or boiling water.
- Never add cold water the beans will turn dark.
- If you cook without a lid the beans will also turn a dark color.
- When the skins are almost as tender as the inside of the beans, they are done.
- They should not be broken.
- Add salt and allow to stand before serving.