Recipe by vescovo
A New Mexico favorite. It's quick, easy, and delicious! Don't have chicken, no problem. This recipe is great even without it. Try it, you'll love it!
Top Review by amygdala
This recipe is really easy and comes out perfect every time. My only variations after I made it a few times were oven-roasted anaheim chiles (simple), whole milk instead of chicken broth, added cumin, mexican oregano and fresh cilantro to the chicken and a tad more garlic. (That's just what me and my BF like). Fine just the way it is, too! Thank you for sharing.
- 10 1⁄2 ounces condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 7 ounces chicken broth
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 8 ounces diced canned green chili peppers
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 16 ounces cheddar cheese
- 12 corn tortillas
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut chicken into small bite-sized pieces.
- Brown in frying pan.
- In a large sauce pan over medium heat combine the cream of mushroom soup and chicken broth.
- Then add the garlic, onion, green chile.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cover the bottom of a 12x9 baking dish with a thin layer of the sauce.
- Cover with half of the tortillas.
- Put half of the cooked chicken on top of the tortillas.
- Spread half of the remaining sauce over the chicken.
- Top with half of the cheese.
- Repeat by layering the remaining tortillas, chicken, sauce, then cheese.
- Bake 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Allow several minutes to cool.
- Top with chopped onions and fresh chopped tomatoes (optional) and serve with sour cream.