Recipe by KatrinaRadia
Everyone begs me to make this. As a native New Mexican I love our Hatch NM Green Chile home grown, in the fall around State Fair time you can smell it being roasted all over the state. This dish offers the heart of NM food it is delicious, inexpensive, expedient as you can use leftovers, or fresh, and layer the sauce, corn tortillas, and cheese as you would lasagna. Garnish with Chopped Roma Tomatoes lettuce, raw onion, and sour cream if you like that too.
- 4 -6 pieces chicken
- 1 yellow onion
- 2 cups green chili peppers
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon garlic
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomatoes
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1 -2 cup sharp cheddar cheese
- 9 -12 corn tortillas
- 1 roma tomato
- 1 cup lettuce
- 1⁄2 cup onion
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 4 flour tortillas
Directions See How It's Made
- Prep 30 minutes bake 45 minutes, Homemade Chicken Stock 1 ½ hours You can make this stew and freeze it. Thaw, layer and bake, as Corn Tortillas don't freeze well in the dish, they become grainy.
- Use at least ½ Leftover Rotisserie Chicken/ Raw whole pieces / or breasts boiled in water to cover, until done and broth has a good color, I use my pasta cooker with strainer, but any large heavy pot will do.
- Drain, reserve liquid, set chicken aside to cool.
- Reduce the remaining broth to about 2 cups or so while chopping this stuff: boned and skinned chicken, ½ as much yellow onion as you have chicken, same amount of Green Chile as Chicken, hot medium or mild "as you like".
- Throw it all in the broth with Oregano, Cumin, chopped garlic, stewed Mexican or stewed tomatoes. Simmer til onion is soft, if it’s watery stir about ¼ cup cornstarch into some cold water or cooled broth, then add back into the stew to thicken.
- Taste and add salt til it is yummy.
- Once the stew is a satisfying thickness you can layer * using shredded sharp cheddar cheese, White/Yellow corn tortillas/and any stale taco shells you might have. Finish with Cheese and bake at 350 until bubbly and done. Let it rest for 20 minutes to firm up before serving.
- *If you just want some awesome green Chile Stew, add par boiled chopped to bite size potatoes at this point and when it looks like soup, put it in a bowl garnish with cheese and eat with a fresh hot flour Tortilla.
- This is my Husband's favorite dish. I sure hope you like it too!