JERSEY FLOURCHILD's Note:
A melt in your mouth shortbread style cinnamon cookie. It is made traditionally for the Christmas season in New Mexico households. I obtained this recipe from a friend, Namoi, who was born and raised in NM.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Sift flour, baking powder and salt together in large bowl, set aside.
- 2In mixer bowl beat the lard and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- 3Add the egg yolks, cinnamon, anise extract and juice/wine. Mix till incorporated.
- 4Add flour mixture to lard mixture and mix well.
- 5Roll dough out onto floured counter top to 1/2" thickness. I work half the dough half at a time, rolling into a large square. Cutting into strips about 1 inch wide, then cut those strips into 2" cookies. (A ruler works great!).
- 6Place cookies on an ungreased cookie sheet and bake at 400°F for about 8-10 minutes.
- 7While cookies are warm roll them in cinnamon sugar.
Browse Our Top Rolled Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for New Mexico Biscochos
Serving Size: 1 (1771 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 67.0
- Calories from Fat 31
- Total Fat 3.5 g
- Saturated Fat 1.3 g
- Cholesterol 6.3 mg
- Sodium 28.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 3.0 g
- Protein 0.7 g