Recipe by SusieQusie
Adapted from _Lean Bean Cuisine_ - a creamy, spicy chowder that begs for a side of cornbread.
First you make a roux (I love saying that)
- 29.58 ml butter
- 29.58 ml flour
For the soup
- 29.58 ml oil
- 1 large Spanish onion, diced
- 1 large bell pepper (red or green, diced)
- 236.59 ml diced celery
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 new mexico chile, roasted, peeled, seeded, chopped (or more to taste)
- 946.36 ml vegetable stock
- 709.77 ml sweet potatoes, chopped
- 14.79 ml paprika
- 14.79 ml cumin
- 14.79 ml oregano
- 14.79 ml thyme
- 2.46 ml salt
- 1.23 ml pepper
- 473.18 ml frozen green fordhook lima beans or 473.18 ml canned green fordhook lima beans, drained
- 473.18 ml whole kernel corn (frozen and thawed or drained canned kernels)
- 709.77 ml milk or 709.77 ml light cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Roux - melt butter in a small skillet. Whisk in the flour. Stir mixture until it's light brown. Remove from heat.
- Saute onions, green pepper, garlic, celery, and chiles in oil for 7-10 minutes, until soft.
- Add stock, potatoes, spices and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add lima beans, corn and milk. Return to low simmer for 10 minutes.
- Whisk in reserved roux and simmer another 5 minutes.