Adapted from _Lean Bean Cuisine_ - a creamy, spicy chowder that begs for a side of cornbread.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
First you make a roux (I love saying that)
For the soup
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 large Spanish onion, diced
- 1 large bell pepper (red or green, diced)
- 1 cup diced celery
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 new mexico chile, roasted, peeled, seeded, chopped (or more to taste)
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 3 cups sweet potatoes, chopped
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups frozen green fordhook lima beans or 2 cups canned green fordhook lima beans, drained
- 2 cups whole kernel corn (frozen and thawed or drained canned kernels)
- 3 cups milk or 3 cups light cream
- 1Roux - melt butter in a small skillet. Whisk in the flour. Stir mixture until it's light brown. Remove from heat.
- 3Saute onions, green pepper, garlic, celery, and chiles in oil for 7-10 minutes, until soft.
- 4Add stock, potatoes, spices and simmer for 20 minutes.
- 5Add lima beans, corn and milk. Return to low simmer for 10 minutes.
- 6Whisk in reserved roux and simmer another 5 minutes.
Browse Our Top Chowders Recipes
Nutritional Facts for New Mexican Succotash Chowder
Serving Size: 1 (313 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 264.4
- Calories from Fat 95
- Total Fat 10.6 g
- Saturated Fat 4.5 g
- Cholesterol 20.4 mg
- Sodium 540.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.0 g
- Sugars 5.0 g
- Protein 8.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: