Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 40 mins
- 1 cup dried pinto bean, sorted,rinsed,and drained
- 3 lbs boneless chuck roast, well trimmed and cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces
- fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 2 large onions, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, minced with seeds
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 1⁄2 cups red wine
- 2 cups beef stock
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 (28 ounce) can Italian plum tomatoes, undrained
- 1 smoked ham hock
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 11 ounces smoked kielbasa, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 red bell peppers or 2 yellow bell peppers, cored,seeded,and cut into 1 1/2 inch triangles
- 2 poblano chiles, cored,seeded,and cut into 1 1/2 inch triangles
- 3 zucchini, cut into 1 inch thick rounds
- minced fresh cilantro
SANTA FE SEASONING
- 3 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano, crushed
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme, crushed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- For seasonings; In a small bowl, combine cumin, coriander, chili powder, oregano, thyme, allspice, cloves, and cinnamon.
- Store in a air tight container.
- Makes about 1/2 c.
- In a large soup pot over medium-high heat, place beans and over with water.
- Bring just to a boil; remove from heat, cover, and let stand 1 hour.
- Drain and rinse beans; set aside.
- Place beef pieces in a large bowl; season with salt and pepper.
- Add 2 teaspoons Santa fe seasoning; toss well.
- Add flour and toss to coat.
- In a large pot or a dutch oven over medium-high heat, heat 4 tablespons vegetable oil.
- Add beef piecs in batches and brown well; using a slotted spoon, transfer to a bowl.
- Add 2 tablespoons vegetable oil; reduce heat to medium.
- Add onions and tomato paste; stir 2 minute.
- Add red wine and bring to a boil, scraping up browned bits.
- Add beef and chicken stocks, tomatoes, ham hock, and cayene pepper; reduce heat to low and bring to simmer.
- Add beef pieces; cover partially and simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add beans, cover partially, and simmer another 1 hour.
- Uncover, add remaining Santa fe seasoning, and simmer an additional 45 minutes or until beef pieces and beans are tender.
- Stirring occasionally.
- Degrease stew if necessary.
- Remove ham hock; trim off fat.
- Cut ham into 1/2-inch pieces and add back into stew.
- In a large frying pan over medium heat, add kielbasa sausage and cook 2 minutes per side.
- Tranfer to a plate.
- Add bell peppers, poblano chilies, and zucchini; saute another 5 minutes or until crisp-tender.
- Mix sausage and vegetables into stew; simmer 5 minutes longer or until just tender.
- Sprinkle with cilantro.
- Ladle into soup bowls and serve with bread.