Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Try this variation on the traditional potato dish; it's creamy, and a little bit spicy.
- 2 potatoes, large Russets work best
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 12 ounces sour cream
- 4 ounces chopped green chilies
- 8 ounces monterey jack cheese, grated
- In a saucepan, melt butter over medium high heat.
- Add flour and let cook and brown slightly, forming a thick roux.
- Stir in sour cream, chilies, salt and pepper, letting sauce thicken to the consistency of thick gravy. (Add milk 1 T. at a time if you need to thin it a bit).
- Remove from heat and add most of the cheese; set aside.
- Slice unpeeled potatoes into 1/4 inch thick slices. Place one layer in small casserole, and pour half the cheese sauce over. Layer and and pour again.
- Bake at 350°F for 45 minutes-1 hour. Top with rest of cheese and bake an additional 15 minutes.
This was very good! We liked the little bit of spiciness from the green chilies. I used a colby/monterey jack blend cheese. I made 2 seperate casseroles; the 1 I made with the chopped green chilies (as written) and the other I made with chopped jalepenos! Woooo-wee!!! If you like spicy, try that! Thanx for a great new potato dish. I'll be making this again.
YUMMY! I threw in some Parmesan cheese and fresh garlic to the roux, increased the salt, pepper and used cheddar cheese, fantastic potato side Mine took way over an hour to bake though...great tater side dish! Thanks Geema!...Kitten:)