Recipe by Geema
Try this variation on the traditional potato dish; it's creamy, and a little bit spicy.
Top Review by *Parsley*
This was very good! We liked the little bit of spiciness from the green chilies. I used a colby/monterey jack blend cheese. I made 2 seperate casseroles; the 1 I made with the chopped green chilies (as written) and the other I made with chopped jalepenos! Woooo-wee!!! If you like spicy, try that! Thanx for a great new potato dish. I'll be making this again.
- 2 potatoes, large Russets work best
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 12 ounces sour cream
- 4 ounces chopped green chilies
- 8 ounces monterey jack cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- In a saucepan, melt butter over medium high heat.
- Add flour and let cook and brown slightly, forming a thick roux.
- Stir in sour cream, chilies, salt and pepper, letting sauce thicken to the consistency of thick gravy. (Add milk 1 T. at a time if you need to thin it a bit).
- Remove from heat and add most of the cheese; set aside.
- Slice unpeeled potatoes into 1/4 inch thick slices. Place one layer in small casserole, and pour half the cheese sauce over. Layer and and pour again.
- Bake at 350°F for 45 minutes-1 hour. Top with rest of cheese and bake an additional 15 minutes.