Prep 5 mins
Cook 12 mins
Great for chilly days. An excellent accompaniment to bunuelos or sopaipillas. From Irene Sanchez.
- 118.29 ml sugar
- 59.14 ml cocoa
- 354.88 ml cold water
- 4.92 ml cinnamon
- 2.46 ml grated nutmeg
- 1419.54 ml milk
- 14.79 ml pure vanilla extract
- whipped cream (for topping; optional)
- 6 cinnamon sticks (optional)
- Whisk together sugar, cocoa, water, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Add milk and cook, stirring, until hot.
- Add vanilla and stir.
- Pour chocolate into serving cups and top with whipped cream (if desired).
- Sprinkle with a little cinnamon and nutmeg and serve with a cinnamon stick (for stirring).
First time trying Mexican hot chocolate and what a great treat. For the milk I used 2% and for the topping I used Cool Whip Free.
I made it for one using Roosie's measurements. Very good and warming. Not too sweet. Thanks. Maybe next time I will be daring and add a dash of cayenne pepper.
I love Mexican chocolate, I like to add a dash of cayenne pepper to mine ;)