Because I'm a new Mama! These meatballs are fantastic in an Italian red sauce with pasta or on their own. I like the fact that they are made in the oven because it's less of a mess. When my husband has been a very good boy I make him these meatballs. Hope you enjoy. Please let me know. Thanks!
- 3 lbs ground veal (OR 1 pound each, pork, beef and veal; OR Whatever combination of ground meat you want to use.)
- 1⁄4 cup minced shallot
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 egg
- 1 cup breadcrumbs (I used the canned stuff)
- 1⁄2 cup whole milk
- 1⁄3 cup grated or powdered parmesan cheese
- You will also need: thin latex gloves (optional).
- Preheat oven to 375, spray a rimmed baking sheet with nonstick spray and set aside.
- Combine meat, shallots, garlic, basil, salt, pepper, nutmeg, egg, bread crumbs, milk and parmesan in a large bowl and mix thoroughly.
- I wear thin latex gloves because I can really mix the ingredients and shape the meatballs without getting it under my fingernails.
- Scoop up ¼ cup sized portions and shape into 1/2 inch balls.
- Place meatballs, spaced apart on baking sheet.
- Bake in preheated oven for about 20-25 minutes or until browned and cooked through (160 degrees in centers).
- Do not overcook.
- Add to pasta sauce or sweet and sour sauce or brown gravy.
- Very delicious.