1/1 Photo of New Ginger Wine - Christmas & Holiday Ginger Wine
24 hrs 5 mins
I haven't had traditional ginger wine, but I decided to make a sort of infused ginger wine of my own, and the below is what I came up with. I tried it tonight, and YUM! :) Traditional ginger wine, produced before the holidays from scratch, is popular in some parts of England and Scotland. While this version isn't exactly traditional, this is a tasty addition to the Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays! Prep time includes letting it sit before serving.
My Private Note
750ml b ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated lemon rind (zest of 1 lemon)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 (750 ml) bottle white wine
- 1/3 cup honey or 1/3 cup golden syrup, to taste
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1/4 cup raisins, chopped roughly (can use mixture of regular and golden raisings)
- 1 ounce brandy or 1 ounce cognac, to taste
- 1In a non-reactive saucepan over medium heat, combine the lemon zest and juice, wine, honey or golden syrup, ginger, and raisins.
- 2Raise the heat to medium-high, stirring constantly until the honey or golden syrup is melted, which will take about 4 minutes, but do not allow to boil.
- 3Add the brandy or Cognac and place into glass container.
- 4Refrigerate at least one day (or two, to taste), then strain the wine and serve in small glasses; it will be slightly cloudy but very tasty and very good for helping digest those large dinners everybody had!
- 5Note: honey and golden syrup have different tastes, and I like both. It's nice to have the both versions of the wine with made, for different folks' tastes!
Browse Our Top Punch Beverage Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Punch Beverage Recipes
Nutritional Facts for New Ginger Wine - Christmas & Holiday Ginger Wine
Serving Size: 1 (187 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 5
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 231.3
- Calories from Fat 0
- Total Fat 0.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 9.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 24.3 g
- Protein 0.4 g