Almost any kind of cheese works well. Notice the technique of leaving it open-faced and covered with a lid until the cheese melts. Adapted from "Cheap. Fast. Good!" by Beverly Mills and Alicia Ross.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Melt butter in a 12-inch skillet over low heat.
- 2While butter melts, spread 1 teaspoon mustard on each of 2 slices of the bread. Spread 1 teaspoon mayonnaise on each of the 2 remaining slices of bread. Place 2 slices of cheese on each of 2 slices of the bread.
- 3Place the cheese-topped bread, cheese side up, in the skillet. Cover the skillet and cook until the bread is golden brown on the bottom and the cheese is just beginning to melt, 2 to 3 minutes.
- 4Arrange 2 slices of tomato and 3 slices of avocado on top of the cheese, and place another piece of bread on each sandwich. Turn the sandwiches over, pressing each with a spatula to keep it together. Cook, uncovered, until the second side is golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Continue to press sandwiches with a spatula while cooking.
- 5Transfer sandwiches to plates, cut in half and serve.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for New-Fashioned Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
Serving Size: 1 (1029 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1591.4
- Calories from Fat 1133
- Total Fat 125.9 g
- Saturated Fat 34.5 g
- Cholesterol 89.2 mg
- Sodium 1549.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 97.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 44.7 g
- Sugars 12.9 g
- Protein 40.7 g