Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
Almost any kind of cheese works well. Notice the technique of leaving it open-faced and covered with a lid until the cheese melts. Adapted from "Cheap. Fast. Good!" by Beverly Mills and Alicia Ross.
- Melt butter in a 12-inch skillet over low heat.
- While butter melts, spread 1 teaspoon mustard on each of 2 slices of the bread. Spread 1 teaspoon mayonnaise on each of the 2 remaining slices of bread. Place 2 slices of cheese on each of 2 slices of the bread.
- Place the cheese-topped bread, cheese side up, in the skillet. Cover the skillet and cook until the bread is golden brown on the bottom and the cheese is just beginning to melt, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Arrange 2 slices of tomato and 3 slices of avocado on top of the cheese, and place another piece of bread on each sandwich. Turn the sandwiches over, pressing each with a spatula to keep it together. Cook, uncovered, until the second side is golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Continue to press sandwiches with a spatula while cooking.
- Transfer sandwiches to plates, cut in half and serve.