2 hrs 20 mins
From the kosher cookbook Mealleaniyumm by Norene Gilletz. I first made this for Passover and it was an immediate it. There is a year round version and a kosher for Passover version which will be part of the instructions
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 medium cabbage (about 3lb)
- 14 ounces jellied cranberry sauce
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1For the sauce:.
- 2Remove 16 to 18 large cabbage leaves.
- 3Trim away the touch ribs; set aside.
- 4In a large pot combine cranberry sauce, tomato sauce, water, sugar cinnamon and lemon juice. (For Passover use white sugar only, for the rest of the year yo can either use white or brown sugar).
- 5Bring to a boil, stirring to break up the cranberry sauce. Cut up leftover cabbage and add to sauce. While sauce is simmering, prepare the cabbage rolls.
- 6For the Cabbage Rolls:.
- 7Combine ground poultry, with remaining ingredients, and mix lightly. (use matzo meal instead of the oatmeal and breadcrumbs, and use matzo farfel instead of the rice).
- 8Place a large spoonful of the filling on each cabbage leaf.
- 9Roll up, folding in ends.
- 10Place cabbage seam side down in the sauce. If sauce doesn't cover the cabbage add water.
- 11Cover and simmer slowly for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, basting occasionally, until cabbage is tender.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for New-Fashioned Cabbage Rolls in Cranberry Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (205 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 170.2
- Calories from Fat 18
- Total Fat 2.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 43.0 mg
- Sodium 321.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 17.8 g
- Protein 11.7 g