Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
From the kosher cookbook Mealleaniyumm by Norene Gilletz. I first made this for Passover and it was an immediate it. There is a year round version and a kosher for Passover version which will be part of the instructions
- 1 medium cabbage (about 3lb)
- 14 ounces jellied cranberry sauce
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄3 cup white sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground chicken or 1 1⁄2 lbs ground turkey breast
- 1 egg
- 4 green onions, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small carrot, grated
- 1⁄2 cup oatmeal or 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄2 cup rice
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 3 -4 tablespoons ketchup
- For the sauce:.
- Remove 16 to 18 large cabbage leaves.
- Trim away the touch ribs; set aside.
- In a large pot combine cranberry sauce, tomato sauce, water, sugar cinnamon and lemon juice. (For Passover use white sugar only, for the rest of the year yo can either use white or brown sugar).
- Bring to a boil, stirring to break up the cranberry sauce. Cut up leftover cabbage and add to sauce. While sauce is simmering, prepare the cabbage rolls.
- For the Cabbage Rolls:.
- Combine ground poultry, with remaining ingredients, and mix lightly. (use matzo meal instead of the oatmeal and breadcrumbs, and use matzo farfel instead of the rice).
- Place a large spoonful of the filling on each cabbage leaf.
- Roll up, folding in ends.
- Place cabbage seam side down in the sauce. If sauce doesn't cover the cabbage add water.
- Cover and simmer slowly for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, basting occasionally, until cabbage is tender.