Recipe by theAmateurPastryChef
This is from Vegan Planet. It is amazing how close it tastes to the real thing. I used to love clam chowder until I developed a dairy allergy. I came across this and tried it and was blown away. This is a vegan recipe, but I'm sure all will enjoy it. (Tip: For the veggie stock, I just use one carton of organic broth, and fill the rest with water)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 leek, chopped (white part only)
- 1 inner celery rib, chopped
- 1 large yukon gold potato, peeled and diced
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 piece kombu seaweed (2-inch-square)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup soymilk
- 1 tablespoon mellow white miso (dissolved in 2 tb hot water, but not boiling)
- 8 ounces oyster mushrooms, coarsley chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pot, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Add leek and celery, cover and cook until softened.
- Add potatoe, stock, kombu, bay leaf and salt to taste.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until veggies are soft, 20, to 30 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf and kombu.
- Carefully transfer 2 cups solids plus 1/4 cup of the broth to a blender or food processor (or another bowl and use an emmersion blender) and process until smooth.
- Return mixture to pot and stir in soy milk and dissolved miso. Keep the soup warm over low heat, being careful not to boil or the miso will burn.
- Heat the remaining tablespoon of oil in a large skillet over medim heat. Add the mushrooms and cook stirring constantly until softened, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle mushrooms with Old Bay seasoning, stirring to coat.
- Stir cooked mushrooms into the chowder and serve hot.