Spices were available and always popular because the seafaring men of the coastal villages sailed to the islands in the South Seas. This spice cake is very nice with mocha icing. From the New England chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
- Butter two 9" round cake pans and line with parchment paper or waxed paper; preheat oven to 350°F.
- Sift dry ingredients together.
- Cream butter and sugar thoroughly and add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Blend in molasses and add the sifted ingredients alternately with the milk; beat well.
- Pour into prepared cake pans and bake for about 25 minutes or until cakes test done.