Recipe by winkki
Another of Marjorie Druker's wonderful combinations from the New England Soup Factory in Boston. The chili powder, cumin, and Tabasco add a real kick to this colorful combo. Takes a while to make, but not difficult. If you prefer more of a soup, add more V-8 and adjust spices to taste. (If you forget to soak the beans overnight, cover with water, bring to a boil for 2 min, turn off heat, cover and let stand 1 hr).
- 1⁄2 cup dried great northern beans
- 1⁄2 cup dried red kidney beans
- 1⁄2 cup dried black-eyed peas
- 1⁄2 cup dried black beans
- 1⁄2 cup dried garbanzo beans
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 1⁄2 cups onions, diced
- 2 cups carrots, diced
- 1 cup yellow pepper, diced
- 1 cup sweet red pepper, diced
- 1 cup green pepper, diced
- 3 cups canned diced tomatoes
- 2 cups v 8 vegetable juice
- 1 cup vegetable stock or 1 cup water
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons cumin
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon basil
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons Tabasco sauce (not GF)
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
Directions See How It's Made
- Place all beans in water (cover with several extra inches of water) and soak overnight.
- Place in large pot (with fresh water if desired) and boil until tender, 2-3+ hours.
- Drain and cool.
- In a large stockpot, Sauté garlic, onions, carrots and peppers in oil for 10 minutes.
- Add beans, tomatoes, V-8, cumin, chili powder, oregano, basil and bay leaves.
- Cover and simmer gently for 1 hour.
- Season with salt, pepper, Tabasco sauce and balsamic vinegar.