Another recipe from the New England Soup Factory, known for their hearty and unusual combinations. The roasted leeks lend a smoky spice to the normally mild spinach and zucchini. I loved to get this when we lived in Boston; at least this way I can make it here in TX. From the Boston Globe paper in 1998.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 tablespoons salted butter
- 1 1/2 cups onions, diced
- 1 1/2 cups celery, diced
- 1 small fennel bulb, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 3/4 lbs zucchini, in large chunks
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and diced
- 6 cups vegetable stock or 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 lb firmly packed spinach leaves
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 nutmeg
- salt and pepper
- 1Begin the roasted leeks:.
- 2Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- 3Combine leeks, oil, salt, and pepper in lg bowl; toss gently.
- 4Spread in a roasting pan and roast for 20 minutes, stirring once or twice.
- 5Meanwhile, melt the butter in a Dutch oven or large heavy pot over medium-high heat.
- 6Add onion, celery, fennel, and garlic; saute 10-12 min or until onion is softened.
- 7Add zucchini and potatoes; mix well.
- 8Add the stock and bring to a boil; reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes, until the vegetables are tender.
- 9Remove from the heat and add spinach in batches, mixing with a large spoon after each addition until the.
- 10spinach wilts.
- 11Puree in batches in a blender.
- 12(To prevent splashing, the restaurant suggests removing the inner core of the blender cover and holding a kitchen towel over the top.).
- 13Return the puree to the pot.
- 14Add the cream, nutmeg, salt, pepper, and roasted leeks, and heat thoroughly.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for New England Soup Factory's Spinach and Zucchini Bisque
Serving Size: 1 (409 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 447.3
- Calories from Fat 250
- Total Fat 27.8 g
- Saturated Fat 14.8 g
- Cholesterol 74.7 mg
- Sodium 201.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 46.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.9 g
- Sugars 8.1 g
- Protein 9.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: