1/1 Photo of New England Soup Factory's Spicy Chickpea and Butternut Soup
1 hr 15 mins
When we lived in Boston, we loved to get soup from the New England Soup Factory, known for their hearty and unusual combinations. This is one of their recipes. Although it's a 'cream' soup, since the base is coconut milk it remains vegan. The coconut is perhaps not what you're used to seeing with chickpeas and butternut but it really adds a sweet richness and fullness.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh garlic
- 2 cups finely chopped onions (I use much less!)
- 1 cup celery (minced or diced)
- 2 cups carrots, sliced
- 6 cups butternut squash, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 cups canned tomatoes, diced
- 4 quarts well-flavored vegetable stock
- 2 cups tomato juice
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 cups canned chick-peas
- 1 tablespoon ginger
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon minced scotch bonnet pepper
- 1 (14 ounce) can coconut milk
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1Heat olive oil and garlic in a large heavy stockpot.
- 2Sauté 1-2 minutes.
- 3Add onions, carrots and celery.
- 4Sauté 10-15 minutes.
- 5Add squash, canned tomatoes, stock, tomato juice, soy sauce, lime juice, chickpeas, ginger and coriander; bring to a boil.
- 6Cook until all the vegetables are tender, approx 30 minutes. Add coconut milk, flaked coconut, coconut extract and cilantro, warm through.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for New England Soup Factory's Spicy Chickpea and Butternut Soup
Serving Size: 1 (309 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 254.1
- Calories from Fat 118
- Total Fat 13.2 g
- Saturated Fat 8.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1006.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.0 g
- Sugars 9.1 g
- Protein 6.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: