Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Yet another unusual but wonderful recipe from Marjorie Druker's New England Soup Factory in Boston! Very simple and low-carb.
- 3 quarts chicken broth
- 1 cup dried orzo pasta
- 1⁄2 lb asparagus, cut into 3/4 inch slices
- 8 eggs, beaten
- 2 lemons, juice of
- 1 bunch scallion, chopped
- 4 -6 dashes lemon extract
- fresh ground black pepper
- Bring the chicken stock to a boil in a large stockpot.
- Add orzo; cook 5-7 minutes.
- Add asparagus; cook 5-7 minutes more.
- Bring soup back to a brisk boil and whisk in beaten eggs.
- Cook for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and add remaining ingredients.
- Serve immediately.
Easy, fast, cheap and healthy. Our family eats this as dinner at least once a week! Fantastic!
This is a very good soup with a bright, crisp flavor. It would be the perfect spring soup, but also add a little cheer to gray, rainy days.
I love this soup and have made it several times. The only lemon I used was the fresh lemon. You can't go wrong with fresh lemon juice! This is a wonderful fresh tasting soup. The egg, orzo, lemon and asparagus worked well together.