Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
This is a great chowder! Soups of any kind are a comfort food,welcome any time. You can add your own personal touch, whether it be fresh herbs other kinds of fish. Soups soothe the soul. You can substitute 1/2 bag of a 32 oz. bag of Southern-style hash browns instead of the peeled potatoes. This chowder freezes well.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs fresh shrimp, unpeeled, medium size
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup red bell peppers or 1 cup green bell pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 32 ounces chicken broth (fresh, or 2 16 oz. cans)
- 4 cups potatoes (peeled and finely chopped)
- 1 cup carrot, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper, ground
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cups half-and-half, . (or equal parts milk and cream, half and half has 10-12% milk fat)
- 1 (15 ounce) can cream-style corn
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce (more or less, to your liking)
- Peel shrimp, and devein, if desired; set aside.
- Cook onion, celery, bell pepper, and garlic in 1 tablespoons oil in large Dutch oven, stirring often, about 8 minutes,or until garlic is tender.
- Add flour and cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute. Gradually stir in chicken broth and next 6 ingredients.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer, stirring often, 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Stir in half and half,corn, and hot sauce; return to a boil. Add peeled shrimp; cook, stirring often, 5 minute, or until the shrimp turn pink.
- Remove and discard bay leaves.
Very Good - will make again. Thanks.