Prep 45 mins
Cook 45 mins
Make and share this New England Sausage Stuffing With Chestnuts recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup chestnuts, bottled, coarsely chopped
- 16 ounces French bread, 1 loaf, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 6 ounces pork sausage, mild
- 3 cups onions, chopped
- 2 cups celery, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups low-sodium low-fat chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon dried sage, rubbed
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- nonstick cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Arrange chopped chestnuts and bread cubes in a single layer on a jelly roll pan. Bake at 375 for 10 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Cook sausage in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat 4 minutes or until browned stirring to crumble. Add onion and celery sauté 6 minutes or until tender. Add broth, scraping pan to loosen browned bits.
- Combine bread mixture, sausage mixture, sage, thyme salt, and pepper, tossing to combine. Spoon into a 13 x 9 inch baking pan coated with cooking spray; cover with foil. Bake at 375 for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 10 minutes or until golden brown.