Recipe by tornadoes three
This impressive stuffing gets its Yankee accent from apples and dried cranberries. Bon Appetit magazine
Top Review by TooAllergic
Yummmmm! A few tweaks: We used 4 oz cornbread and 10 oz white bread (I am from Virginia). We used plain-sage sausage. We added pecans (my husband is from Texas) and we added 1/3 C white wine (we like really wet stuffing inside--crunchy outside). Seasoning was perfect! I ate the leftovers for every meal for the 2 days following Thanksgiving!
- 14 ounces white bread, cut into 3/4-inch cubes (about 12 cups)
- 1 lb sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 6 cups sliced leeks (white and pale green parts only, about 3 large leeks)
- 1 lb tart green apple, peeled, cored, chopped
- 2 cups chopped celery & leaves
- 4 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 1 cup dried cranberries (about 4 ounces)
- 4 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 2⁄3 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 3 eggs, beaten to blend
- 1 1⁄3 cups about canned low sodium chicken broth
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F Divide bread cubes between 2 large baking sheets. Bake until slightly dry, about 15 minutes. Cool completely.
- Sauté sausages in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat until cooked through, crumbling coarsely with back of spoon, about 10 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer sausage to large bowl.
- Pour off any drippings from skillet. Melt butter in same skillet over medium-high heat. Add leeks, apples, celery and poultry seasoning to skillet; sauté until leeks soften, about 8 minutes. Mix in dried cranberries and rosemary.
- Add mixture to sausage, then mix in bread and parsley. Season stuffing to taste with salt and pepper. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate.) Mix eggs into stuffing.
- To bake stuffing in turkey: Fill main turkey cavity with stuffing. Mix enough chicken broth into remaining stuffing to moisten (about 3/4 to 1 cup chicken broth, depending on amount of remaining stuffing). Spoon remaining stuffing into buttered baking dish. Cover with buttered aluminum foil.
- Bake stuffing in dish alongside turkey until heated through, about 45 minutes. Uncover stuffing and bake until top is golden brown, about 15 minutes.
- To bake all stuffing in pan: Preheat oven to 350°F Butter 15x10x2-inch baking dish. Mix 1 1/3 cups broth into stuffing. Transfer to prepared dish.
- Cover with buttered foil and bake until heated through, about 45 minutes. Uncover and bake until top is golden brown, about 15 minutes.