1 hr 30 mins
tornadoes three's Note:
This impressive stuffing gets its Yankee accent from apples and dried cranberries. Bon Appetit magazine
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 14 ounces white bread, cut into 3/4-inch cubes (about 12 cups)
- 1 lb sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1/4 cup butter
- 6 cups sliced leeks (white and pale green parts only, about 3 large leeks)
- 1 lb tart green apple, peeled, cored, chopped
- 2 cups chopped celery & leaves
- 4 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 1 cup dried cranberries (about 4 ounces)
- 4 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 2/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 3 eggs, beaten to blend
- 1 1/3 cups about canned low sodium chicken broth
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F Divide bread cubes between 2 large baking sheets. Bake until slightly dry, about 15 minutes. Cool completely.
- 2Sauté sausages in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat until cooked through, crumbling coarsely with back of spoon, about 10 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer sausage to large bowl.
- 3Pour off any drippings from skillet. Melt butter in same skillet over medium-high heat. Add leeks, apples, celery and poultry seasoning to skillet; sauté until leeks soften, about 8 minutes. Mix in dried cranberries and rosemary.
- 4Add mixture to sausage, then mix in bread and parsley. Season stuffing to taste with salt and pepper. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate.) Mix eggs into stuffing.
- 5To bake stuffing in turkey: Fill main turkey cavity with stuffing. Mix enough chicken broth into remaining stuffing to moisten (about 3/4 to 1 cup chicken broth, depending on amount of remaining stuffing). Spoon remaining stuffing into buttered baking dish. Cover with buttered aluminum foil.
- 6Bake stuffing in dish alongside turkey until heated through, about 45 minutes. Uncover stuffing and bake until top is golden brown, about 15 minutes.
- 7To bake all stuffing in pan: Preheat oven to 350°F Butter 15x10x2-inch baking dish. Mix 1 1/3 cups broth into stuffing. Transfer to prepared dish.
- 8Cover with buttered foil and bake until heated through, about 45 minutes. Uncover and bake until top is golden brown, about 15 minutes.
Browse Our Top Low In... Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Low In... Recipes
Nutritional Facts for New England Sausage, Apple and Dried Cranberry Stuffing
Serving Size: 1 (204 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 14
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 220.6
- Calories from Fat 75
- Total Fat 8.4 g
- Saturated Fat 3.7 g
- Cholesterol 63.7 mg
- Sodium 446.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 6.7 g
- Protein 10.1 g