Recipe by Plainbil
A old Family Circle Recipe that is always in demand, even more appealing with golden candy-like topping that you can find recipe for in the directions.
- 1 unbaked pie shell
- 2 eggs
- 1 (1 lb) can pumpkin (can use fresh)
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 (1 2/3 cup) can evaporated milk
Directions See How It's Made
- .Preheat oven 425 degrees.
- Beat eggs slightly in a large bowl; stir in pumpkin, granulated and brown sugars, salt, cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg; stir in evaporated milk.
- Place pastry shell on middle shelf of oven. Pour pumpkin filling into shell.
- Bake in hot( 425 degree) oven 15 minutes; lower oven temperature.to moderate (375 degree).Continue baking 20 minutes.
- Spoon Nut Topping (see below) around edge of pie. Bake 10 minutes longer, or until custard is almost set, but still soft in center.(Don't overbake; custard will set as it cools) Cool pie completely on a wire rack.Leave plain or garnish with whipped cream,
- NUT TOPPING:Beat 3 tablespoons butter with 2/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar in a small bowl; stir in 2/3 cup coarsely chopped pecans until well blended.(Topping is not included in the calore or nutrition count).
- You can omit the topping and just bake pie at 425 degrees, then lower oven and bake at 375 degrees for additional 30 minutes.