Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs 30 mins
This recipe is a family favorite which is cooked on the stove top using a large pot with a tight seal or a cast iron dutch oven. (Yes, there are good uses for the cast iron!) The horseradish results in a flavor that turns out quite mild and delicious and the beef is fall-apart tender. Your mouth will be watering for hours as you smell this dish cooking and cooking. You have to get an early start on this one if you plan to have it for the night's supper because the cooking time is a bit lengthy....a great Saturday project!
- Heat oil and cook the beef over medium heat until all sides are browned.
- Sprinkle the beef with salt and pepper. Spread horseradish over all sides of the beef. Add 1 cup water to the pot, heat to boiling, reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 2 hours 30 minutes.
- Add potatoes, carrots and onions to the pot. Cover and simmer for 1 hour or until beef and vegetables are tender.
- Remove beef and vegetables to a warm platter.
- Add enough water to broth to measure 2 cups and put back in the pot.
- Combine by shaking the flour and 1/2 cup water in a container with a tight lid.
- Gradually stir into broth, then heat to a boil, stirring constantly about 1 minute until it is a gravy.
- Place pieces of beef with vegetables onto plates or into bowls and ladle on gravy to your liking.
- Bread for dipping is a great optional treat.