1/1 Photo of New England Pot Roast
3 hrs 20 mins
Chef #843959's Note:
My grandmother used to make this Pot Roast all the time. The key is using a little better cut of meat then "Chuck", and cooking slowly. I have embelished the recipe slightly, using wine and more herbs. My grandmother was a tea-totaler! By cooking at a lower oven setting, the meat will just fall apart! I use a top of the round roast, but you can also use a bottom of the round.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1814.36 g top round roast
- 4.92-9.85 ml kosher salt
- 4.92 ml ground black pepper
- 236.59 ml water
- 59.14 ml red wine
- 118.29 ml celery, chopped large size
- 2.46 ml beef base
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 8 small white potatoes, cut in half
- 8 medium carrots, cut in fourths
- 8 small onions, cut in half if bigger
- 118.29 ml cold water
- 59.14 ml flour
- 1Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- 2Mix 1/2 cup water and 1/4 cup flower in a jar, and set aside.
- 3In a Dutch Oven with a little oil. brown beef on all sides. (can use Bacon fat for more flavor).
- 4Sprinkle beef with salt and pepper.
- 5Add water, Wine, Beef Base, Celery, and Thyme to pot. (you can substitude 1 cup of Beef Stock for water, if you do not have Beef base).
- 6Bring to boil, cover, and put in 325 oven. for 2 1/2 hours.
- 7Add vegetables and cook for another 1 hour. (Note: 3 1/2 hours total cooking time. You can adjust cooking times by lowering oven to 300 degrees. I would not rasie them to speed up).
- 8Remove beef and vegetables from pot. Add enough water to bring liquid to two cups total. Bring to a boil and slowly add flour and water mixture, stirring until thickened. Add seasonings if needed.
- 9Slice roast against the grain and pile on warm plates.
- 10Serve the gravey and vegetables on the side.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for New England Pot Roast
Serving Size: 1 (529 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 728.5
- Calories from Fat 220
- Total Fat 24.4 g
- Saturated Fat 9.5 g
- Cholesterol 208.6 mg
- Sodium 892.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 50.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.1 g
- Sugars 9.3 g
- Protein 71.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: