Prep 20 mins
Cook 6 hrs
With apples and applesauce plus several other nice but simple ingredients,using a pork loin.From a cookbook of New England recipes.
- 2 lbs pork tenderloin, visible fat removed, cut into chunks
- 3 cups applesauce, sweetened
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 8 small red potatoes
- 6 carrots, cut in chunks
- 2 stalks celery, sliced diagonally
- 2 cups white pearl onions
- 2 firm tart apples, slice thin
- In large dutch oven over med-high heat combine pork, applesauce, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves. Cover tightly and cook 15 minutes,then reduce heat and simmer about 6 hours.
- About 1 1/2 hours before serving, add the potatoes, carrots, celery, and onions.
- Fifteen minutes before it is done, add the apple slices.
Very tasty! I reduced the cloves to 1/2 tsp (though it would have been fine at the full amount), grated in about half a nutmeg kernel, and added about 3/4 tsp ground ginger and 1/2 cup dried cranberries. I put it in the crockpot on low for 6 hours, then added the vegetables for another 2 hours, adding the apple in the last 10 minutes. Easy and delicious.