Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is a soup recipe from my recipe collection. Haven't tried.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 large onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mace
- 2 egg yolks
- parsley, minced
- Melt butter in a large pot or kettle, add onions and cook until transparent but not brown.
- Stir in flour until well blended.
- Gradually add milk, stirring until smooth, then stir in broth.
- Add seasonings and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Beat egg yolks with cream and pour into a soup tureen.
- Gradually stir in soup.
- Sprinkle with parsley and serve.
If you love onions like I do, this is for you! I used sweet Vidalia onions. The soup had a perfectly mild onion flavor. I sliced the onions as thinly as possible. They took on a 'noodle-ish' texture. This is a fabulous, easy and inexpensive soup. Thanx for sharing!