6 hrs 20 mins
A sweet, Nor'Eastern soft pickle reminiscent of bread and butter pickles. Courtesy of The Pickled Pantry by Andrea Chesman via Mother Earth News.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups cucumbers, cut into 3/4-inch chunks blossom ends removed
- 1/2 small onion, sliced
- 2 teaspoons pickling salt, more as needed
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup (the darkest, most strongly flavored preferred but any will do)
- 1 teaspoon mixed pickling spices (either store-bought or homemade blend)
- 1 teaspoon coriander seed
- Ball pickle crisp (optional)
- 1Combine the cucumbers, onion, and salt in a large bowl; mix well.
- 2Cover the vegetables with ice water and let stand for at least 2 hours, and up to 6 hours.
- 3Drain very well.
- 4Taste a piece of cucumber. If it isn’t decidedly salty, toss with 1 to 2 teaspoons pickling salt. If it is too salty, rinse with clear water.
- 5Combine the cider vinegar and maple syrup in a saucepan and bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve the maple syrup.
- 6Bring a kettle of water to a boil.
- 7Pack the mixed pickling spices and coriander seeds into a clean, hot 1-pint canning jar.
- 8Pack in the cucumbers and onions.
- 9Pour in the hot vinegar mixture (it will not cover the vegetables, so top off with the boiling water, leaving 1/2 inch headspace).
- 10Add a rounded 1/8 teaspoon of Pickle Crisp to the jar, if using.
- 11Remove any air bubbles with a non-metallic utensil; wipe rim of jar, place lid and screw band on fingertip-tight.
- 12Process in a boiling-water bath for 10 minutes (place warm jars in warm water; cover by at least an inch of water and begin timing when water reaches the boil to avoid jar breakage).
- 13Remove to a protected countertop to cool, undisturbed until completely cool.
Browse Our Top Condiments, Etc. Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Condiments, Etc. Recipes
Nutritional Facts for New England Maple Pickles
Serving Size: 1 (456 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 280.4
- Calories from Fat 5
- Total Fat 0.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 4672.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 65.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 53.0 g
- Protein 1.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: