Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
New England is famous for its Johnny Cake. Not as sweet as your typical Southern Cornbread, Johnny Cake is great with beans, stews, soups, chili and just about any meal you wish to serve it with. Also goes great with Mexican dishes!
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1⁄4 cups yellow cornmeal
- 2 eggs, well beaten
- 1⁄4 cup white vinegar
- 1 cup evaporated milk (sweet milk)
- 1⁄4 cup shortening, melted
- Sift flour with baking soda, salt, and sugar.
- Stir in cornmeal.
- Combine eggs, vinegar, milk, and shortening. Add to dry ingredients, and stir just until dry ingredients are moist.
- Turn into a greased 8x8x2" baking pan.
- Bake at 400, for 30-35 minutes.
Made for Gimme 5. YUMMY! We enjoyes this with some BBQ chicken that had a bit of a chipotle kick to it.I liked the fact that it was'nt a sweet Johnny cake.Simple and tres yummy.
Nothing, absolutely nothing is better than this Johnny Cake! It is the perfect addition for me to make when I have a catering job or cooking competition! Goes great with barbecue ribs, chicken, coleslaw and homemade beans. This is the finishing touch!