Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
In 'Williams-Sonoma Essentials of Slow Cooking'
- 1⁄4 lb thick sliced bacon, chopped
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 carrots, coarsely chopped
- 3⁄4 lb small red potato, diced
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1 1⁄2 cups vegetable broth or 1 1⁄2 cups bottled clam juice
- 3⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine such as sauvignon blanc wine
- 1 1⁄2 lbs halibut fillets, cut into 2-inch pieces
- fresh ground black pepper
- In a Dutch oven over med-high heat, saute the bacon until crisp and golden, about 8 minutes.
- Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate and set aside.
- Add the onion, celery, carrots, and potatoes to the pot; increase heat to med-high and saute just until the vegetables are softened and golden, 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in 2 tablespoons of the thyme.
- Add the broth, cream and wine, and bring to a gentle simmer.
- Stir in the reserved bacon.
- Add the fish, cover, and cook until the fish is opaque throughout and the vegetables are tender, 10-12 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Ladle the stew into warmed bowls and garnish with the remaining 1 tablespoon thyme.
- Serve at once.