In 'Williams-Sonoma Essentials of Slow Cooking'
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 lb thick sliced bacon, chopped
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 carrots, coarsely chopped
- 3/4 lb small red potato, diced
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth or 1 1/2 cups bottled clam juice
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup dry white wine such as sauvignon blanc wine
- 1 1/2 lbs halibut fillets, cut into 2-inch pieces
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1In a Dutch oven over med-high heat, saute the bacon until crisp and golden, about 8 minutes.
- 2Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate and set aside.
- 3Add the onion, celery, carrots, and potatoes to the pot; increase heat to med-high and saute just until the vegetables are softened and golden, 3-4 minutes.
- 4Stir in 2 tablespoons of the thyme.
- 5Add the broth, cream and wine, and bring to a gentle simmer.
- 6Stir in the reserved bacon.
- 7Add the fish, cover, and cook until the fish is opaque throughout and the vegetables are tender, 10-12 minutes.
- 8Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 9Ladle the stew into warmed bowls and garnish with the remaining 1 tablespoon thyme.
- 10Serve at once.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for New England Halibut Stew
Serving Size: 1 (291 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 393.7
- Calories from Fat 193
- Total Fat 21.5 g
- Saturated Fat 10.1 g
- Cholesterol 121.7 mg
- Sodium 290.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 2.4 g
- Protein 30.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: