Recipe by Leslie in Texas
Leave it to Bon Apetit to take comfort food to a new level! Serve this tasty regional dish with hot homemade biscuits for dipping in the creamy sauce, mmmmm! Delicious for brunch or a light supper. From Great Tomato Recipes in an August 1984 Bon Apetit.
- 12 slices thick-cut bacon
- 1 1⁄2 cups stone-ground yellow cornmeal
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 10 green tomatoes, sliced into 1/2-inch rounds
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons snipped fresh chives
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook bacon in heavy large skillet over low heat until lightly crisped.
- Remove from skillet, crumble and keep warm.
- Strain bacon drippings.
- Wipe out skillet;add strained bacon drippings to skillet.
- Spread cornmeal on baking sheet.
- Blend eggs and milk in shallow pie plate.
- Dip tomato slice into egg mixture, dredge in cornmeal on both sides, shaking off excess.
- Set on rack; repeat with remaining slices.
- Let stand 5 minutes before frying.
- Heat bacon drippings over medium heat.
- Sauté tomato slices in batches (don't overcrowd) until golden brown on both sides.
- Season with salt and pepper and transfer to heated platter.
- Pour off all but 1 tablespoon drippings.
- Stir in cream and cook over medium-high heat until reduced by half.
- Mix in 2 tablespoons chives.
- Season with salt and pepper; ladle sauce over tomatoes.
- Sprinkle with remaining chives and bacon crumbles and serve immediately.