Recipe by Trisha W
My friend gave me this recipe when we lived in Maine. Be sure and eat it with some good sour dough bread - maybe even inside a bread bowl (like they serve in CA).
Top Review by Baby Kato
What a beautiful chowder Trisha. Made exactly as written using the heavy cream option. My sister in law was visiting from New Brunswick and brought us some home jared clams, which I mixed with baby clams for a memorable treat. This recipe is very similar to the one that my dh grew up with so needless to say it was a hugh hit. Quick and easy to make, dinner was on the table in no time at all. Thanks for sharing a recipe that I will make again.
- 2 (7 ounce) cans minced clams
- 5 slices bacon, diced
- 2 cups water
- 5 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk or 1 (12 ounce) can heavy cream
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Drain clam juice and set aside.
- Fry bacon and when half done put onions in fat and then add potatoes for a few minutes to absorb flavor of the bacon fat and saute briefly and gently.
- Put those ingredients in a pan with the clam juice, salt, pepper and water and simmer until the potatoes and onions are done.
- Add the clams and the milks and heat until heated through (do not boil).