Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is a recipe from Rachael Ray. It's not for calorie counters but oh so good on occasion.
- 6 beef hot dogs
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided in half
- 6 hot dog buns
- 2 tablespoons sweet relish or 2 tablespoons dill relish
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 lb napa cabbage, shredded & chopped
- salt and pepper
- Make sure the measurements are heaping tablespoons. Mix relish, ketchup, mustard and vinegar in a large bowl and add the cabbage. Mix until cabbage is coated well with the dressing and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Place dogs in a medium skillet with 1 inch of water. Pierce the casings and bring water to a simmer. Cook 6 to 7 minutes, drain and add 1 tablespoon butter to the pan. Melt butter, add dogs and brown over medium heat until crisp. Remove dogs, wipe skillet and add the remaining tablespoon of butter. Brown and crisp the rolls in the melted butter.
- Stuff dogs in rolls and top with mounds of slaw. Cut each dog into 3 pieces if you're doing this as an appetizer - or eat the whole thing - one per person.
Good, spicy and crispy slaw with dogs. It improves greatly if chilled in fridge for an hour or two before serving.