Prep 30 mins
Cook 55 mins
I found this recipe in Lean and Luscious and Meatless. This dish is a cross between a stir-fry and a stew. You can serve it over cooked brown rice, or spoon it into bowls and serve with thick, crusty bread. The flavor is wonderful!
- 6 cups cabbage, coarsely chopped
- 3 medium potatoes, unpeeled, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 cups carrots, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 1 1⁄2 cups leeks, white part only, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups water
- 6 ounces shredded low-fat cheddar cheese (1-1/2 cups)
- Place cabbage, potatoes, carrots, and leeks in a 4-quart Dutch oven.
- Sprinkle spices over vegetables and mix well.
- Add water.
- Bring mixture to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spread cheese evenly over cooked vegetables.
- Place in oven and bake, covered, 25 minutes.
- Serve as is or over any cooked grain.
This was good. I did not need to cook the veggies for near half an hour--I took them off the heat after 20 minutes and they were already a bit mushy. Perhaps my pieces were small? The flavor was pretty good, though I would double or even triple the salt and pepper or use broth instead of water. Just MHO. I added a package of sliced turkey kielbasa before baking and it was definitely a yummy addition for the non-veg crew :). There are so many fun ways to play with this recipe--adding kraut, a splash of wine, broth, an apple, egg noodles--the list goes on! Thanks for posting.
This is a very good recipe. The only draw-back for me is, as soon as the air hits it, the cheese hardens up. I tried a "Velveeta" soft cheese and it was excellent. I loved the idea of the recipe and want to thank you Whisper for sharing.
Delicious, and easy to make too. I made it as directed but used swiss cheese; and fennel seeds as I ran out of caraway. Lovely cabbage recipe. Thanks Whisper.