Prep 45 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Serve this pudding with hard sauce or maple sauce. From the New England chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
- 18 saltine crackers
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups raisins
- 4 cups milk, hot
- 3 eggs
- 3 egg yolks
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup maple sugar (or Faux Maple Sugar or brown sugar)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1 cup cream
- Spread saltines with butter.
- Barely cover the raisins with boiling water and cook until plump; drain.
- Arrange alternately a layer of crackers and a layer of raisins in a greased baking dish.
- Pour hot milk over the top and let stand for half an hour.
- Beat eggs and egg yolks well; add salt, sugar, spices and cream.
- Combine with the first mixture in the baking dish and bake at 325F for 2 hours.