Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Delicious and simple, this tummy-warming soup comes from thrifty New Englanders. From the New England chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
- 3 slices thick bacon or 3 slices salt pork
- 1 large onion, peeled and sliced
- 1 lb potato, peeled and sliced
- 2 cups water
- 6 large soda crackers (pilot crackers)
- 2 cups corn, cooked (canned is fine)
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper (more to taste)
- Cut bacon or salt pork into cubes and brown in a large saucepan.
- Soak crackers in milk.
- Add onion and cook until golden; add potatoes and water and cook until potatoes are tender.
- When potatoes are tender, stir in soaked crackers and milk along with the corn and seasonings.
- Simmer and serve.