Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr
You can prepare this a day ahead, too. Chill, then reheat just before serving. Serve with crusty bread and wilted winter greens. UPDATED - I've updated this recipe to make it even more figure-friendly!
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 slices bacon, chopped
- 4 cups frozen whole kernel corn
- 2 (14 3/4 ounce) cans cream-style corn
- 4 cups nonfat milk
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 10 dashes bottled hot pepper sauce
- 4 cups potatoes, cubed
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup green onion, thinly sliced
- salt & fresh ground pepper
- In a large pot cook bacon until browned to your liking. Remove from pot and drain on paper towels.
- Add celery, onion, and red pepper over medium heat for 10 to 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add whole-kernel corn, cream-style corn, milk, stock,and bottled hot pepper sauce. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 30 minutes. Add potatoes; return to boiling. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, about 15 minutes more or until potatoes are tender.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl stir together cornstarch and just enough water to dissolve it. Add cornstarch mixture to corn mixture. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly, about 1 minute more.
- Stir in green onions and bacon, and season to taste with salt and black pepper.