Recipe by "Food:The Way To Anyone's Heart"
I grew up with cod cakes (fish cakes) and beans. Her is a traditional cod fish cake recipe.
- 1 lb salt cod fish or 1 lb fresh cod, cooked and flaked
- 1 1⁄2 lbs yukon gold potatoes or 1 1⁄2 lbs russet potatoes
- 1⁄3-1⁄2 cup chopped onions or 1⁄3-1⁄2 cup scallion
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 3 tablespoons soft butter, plus extra for frying
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 pinch cayenne (optional)
- chopped herbs (such as parsley or dill) (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- If using salt cod: Soak salt cod in a large volume of water in the refrigerator for 12 - 24 hours. Change water several times. Place fillet into a 3 -4 quart sauce pan with a large volume of water, bring to a boil and turn heat down so that liquid is simmering. Cook for 10 minutes, remove from heat and leave in water for 10 – 15 minutes. Rinse under cold water and break into flakes.
- Boil potatoes in salted water until done, drain and return to pan over moderate heat for 2-3 minutes to evaporate excess moisture. Mash as for mashed potatoes and keep warm. Saute onions or scallions in a small amount of butter until soft.
- Mix fish, potatoes, butter and onions to- gether using a fork, then mix in eggs, mus- tard, pepper and herbs, if using.
- Form the mixture into cakes and refrigerate for up to 6 hours if not cooking immediately.
- Heat enough butter to coat a frying pan, preferably non stick, and cook over medium heat until each side is well browned and the cakes are heated through.
- Serve immediately with slices of lemon, tarter sauce or mayonnaise mixed with lemon juice and capers. Smaller cakes can be served as a first course, while larger cakes, served with salad and bread, make a great lunch or light dinner.