Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr
If you love creamy New England style clam chowder, you will love this recipe. It works best with my mother's homemade pie crust recipe, but I sometimes use store bought pie shells for convenience. This pie is excellent as a left over, IF there's any left!
- 2 prepared pie crusts
- 1 1⁄2 cups clam juice
- 3 cups diced potatoes
- 1 diced carrot
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 cups chopped clams
- freshly ground salt and pepper
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup light cream or 1⁄2 cup milk
- Place clam juice, potatoes, carrots, and onion in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 12 minutes.
- Add clams and salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix flour with light cream or milk (heavy cream will make the mixture too thick), and stir into the clam mixture.
- Bring to boil, stirring until the mixture thickens, remove from heat. Let mixture cool.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees, and prepare 1 pie shell in baking dish. Pour cooled mixture into the shell, and cover with the remaining shell, sealing the edges and poking airholes in the top.
- Bake for 10 minutes at 400, then reduce heat to 350 degrees and cook about 30 minutes longer, until the crust is golden brown.
- Let the pie cool in order to let the filling set.
Itried this all my family loved it. have made it several times thanks 4 the recipe