Recipe by TeleComCal
While looking for a low-fat chowder recipe, I came across one and made some modifications to it. This is a wonderful chowder for those looking for flavor without the guilt.
Top Review by Derf
Very good , we enjoyed it but did miss the richness of the usual recipe. It was quick and quenched our desire for clam chowder, I added some cooked carrots I wanted to use up. Thanks for posting, I will use it again.
- 2 (6 1/2 ounce) cans minced clams (with juices)
- 2 cups finely chopped red potatoes
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped white onion
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons instant chicken bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 1⁄2 cups reduced-fat milk
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 1⁄2 cups evaporated 2% milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Drain the clams reserving juices.
- Add enough water to juice to make 1 cup liquid.
- In a medium saucepan, combine clam juice, potatoes, onions, bouillon granuales,Worcestershire sauce,, parsley, pepper and garlic powder.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat.
- Cover and let simmer 5-10 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Using the back of a fork, or a hand masher, mash potatoes.
- In a small bowl combine the milk and cornstarch.
- Add cornstarch and milk mix and evaporated milk to the sauce pan.
- Cook on medium high heat until mixture starts to thicken, 5-10 minutes.
- Stir in clams, bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer 2 minutes, stirring frequently.