1/2 Photos of New England Clam Chowder
1 hr 5 mins
- Carla -'s Note:
As a New Englander I can tell you this is the best Clam Chowder around! It's from The Vanilla Bean Cafe in Pomfret, Connecticut. This is the original recipe. In addition to the onion & celery I sometimes like to add 1/2 cup shredded carrots.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 ounces bacon fat
- 2 ounces butter
- 1 large onion, diced
- 6 stalks celery, diced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1/2 shredded carrot (optional)
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup instant mashed potatoes
- 4 chef potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 quart clam juice
- 3 cups chopped clams
- 1 1/2 cups half-and-half
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 drop Tabasco sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley (garnish)
- 1Melt butter and bacon fat in large pot.
- 2Sautee onion, celery garlic (and 1/2 cup shredded carrots, if using) until tender.
- 3Add seasonings (parsley, Tabasco, celery salt, thyme & bay).
- 4Add flour and instant mash potatoes.
- 5Turn off flame and stir until flour is no longer visible.
- 6Add the clam juice and stir.
- 7Turn flame back on to high and continue stirring (constantly) to avoid sticking.
- 8Bring to a boil.
- 9Add potatoes and stir.
- 10Cook for 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- 11Add clams.
- 13Add cream.
- 15Simmer for 1/2 hour.
- 16Add salt and pepper, to taste.
- 17Serve garnished with fresh parsley and enjoy!
Browse Our Top Chowders Recipes
Nutritional Facts for New England Clam Chowder
Serving Size: 1 (879 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 832.8
- Calories from Fat 289
- Total Fat 32.1 g
- Saturated Fat 16.9 g
- Cholesterol 127.3 mg
- Sodium 2116.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 98.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.4 g
- Sugars 12.8 g
- Protein 38.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: