Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Delicious Chowder! You can use fresh clams or canned. If using fresh clams, add two hours of prep time to the recipe and a half hour for cook time. Look for small neck clams.
- 2 (6 1/2 ounce) cans , snows chopped clams or
- 2 lbs fresh clams (optional)
- 1⁄8 cup cornmeal (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup sea salt (optional)
- 2 (8 ounce) bottles clam juice
- 7 Red Bliss potatoes, chopped in one inch pieces
- 4 pieces bacon
- 3 scallions, Chopped
- 4 stalks celery, Chopped
- 1⁄2 onion, Chopped
- 0.5 (8 ounce) bag baby carrots, Chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, Minced
- 1 (16 ounce) bag corn
- 5 sprigs thyme
- 1⁄4 cup white wine
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- If using fresh clams: Clean well, throw away any broken shells, and soak in a mixture of 1/8 cup corn meal and 1/8 cup of sea salt (non-iodize) with cold water to cover all clams. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Remove and rinse shells into colander. Refill bowl with 1/4 cup salt and cold water. Add the clams into the clean water and fill with water to cover. Refrigerate for 1 hour. Rinse with fresh water and strain.
- In a large sautee pan, add clam juice and a layer of clams. Cover and cook until clams open. Discard any clams that do not open. Place opened clams in a bowl.
- Remove clams from shells and place in another bowl, cover with foil. Save clam juice and add back to sautee pan.
- Add diced potatoes to sautee pan. Bring to a boil, then turn to medium and cook until tender.
- If using canned clams: In a saucepan, pour bottle of clam juice and the juice from the canned clams, and chopped potatoes. Add some water if needed to cover the potatoes. Bring to a boil, then turn to medium.
- Meanwhile, in large saucepan, cook bacon. Remove from pot and place on paper towel.
- Turn heat to medium high, add celery, onions, and carrots. Make sure to scrap up all the browned bacon bits. Add in frozen corn. Saute for about 5-10 minutes, then add in the scallions and garlic. Cook another 2 minutes.
- Pour in wine and deglaze pan.
- Pour in the potatoes. Pull off leaves of thyme and sprinkle in, and season with pepper. Let simmer on medium low until the carrots are soft, about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Use emersion blender or food processor to blend up soup. You can add the clams and bacon in for a very quick spin. Then add back to saucepan.
- Turn heat up to medium high and add milk until desired thickness. Once it comes to a boil. Let cook about 3 -5 minutes. Turn heat to low and add cream. Add salt and pepper to taste. Let simmer 10 minutes. Stir well and serve with crusty bread or crackers!