Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This is a passed down recipe that was prepared for our Christmas party. It originated from Shady Pines Campground in Savoy, MA. The recipe is party sized so to make smaller batches just reduce all ingredients equally. This recipe makes 9 quarts! Ingredients can be divided to fit into 2 crock pots or use medium 10 quart stock pot. We always used an industrial sized slow cooker.
- 1 (51 ounce) cancan of chopped sea clams (available in 51 oz cans or use multiple small cans to equal 1 1/2 quarts)
- 1 (51 ounce) cancan clam juice (available in 51 oz cans or use multiple small cans to equal 1 1/2 quarts)
- 1⁄4 quart diced onion
- 1 quart diced carrot
- 1⁄4 quart diced celery
- 3 lbs peeled diced potatoes
- 30 ounces whole kernel corn (optional) or 2 (15 ounce) cans whole kernel corn (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup parsley
- 4 tablespoons black pepper
- 4 tablespoons salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 1⁄2-2 lbs bacon, cut small and fried crisp
- 1 quart milk
- 1⁄2 quart heavy cream
- 1⁄2 cup cornstarch, mixed with
- 1 cup milk (separate from milk above)
- Add all ingredients except bacon, milk, heavy cream and cornstarch mix and cook over low heat for 3-4 hours, stirring occasionally.
- When vegetables and other ingredients are cooked add bacon, milk and heavy cream and turn up heat bringing to boil,stirring constantly.
- Add cornstarch mix until thickened.
- Turn heat back to low, continue stirring to keep chowder from burning.
- Once chowder is back to serving temperature stir occasionally.
- Note- cooked vegetables and other ingredients including bacon can be frozen for future use. To prepare just reheat ingredients and follow same steps for adding milk, heavy cream and cornstarch mix.