1/1 Photo of New England Clam Chowder
1 hr 15 mins
Chef Matty Matel's Note:
This is for folks that don't like their Clam Chowder like pudding.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 (6 1/2 ounce) cans minced clams with juice
- 3 (8 ounce) bottles clam juice
- 4 slices bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 cups onions, finely chopped
- 2 large celery ribs, finely chopped
- 3 large minced garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon thyme leaves
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 cups red potatoes, diced peeled
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup chives or 1/4 cup green onion, finely chopped for garnish
- 1In a large heavy pot cook the bacon until crisp and the fat is rendered, remove and set aside.
- 2Add the onions and celery season with salt and pepper and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- 3Add the garlic, thyme and bay leaves and crushed red pepper flakes, and cook until the vegetables are thoroughly wilted, about 3 minutes, being careful not to brown.
- 4Add the flour and cook an additional 3 minutes.
- 5Add clams with all the juice, and the potatoes and bring to a boil, simmer for 20 to 30 minutes or until the broth thickens slightly and the potatoes are very tender.
- 6Reduce heat to low and stir in heavy cream add crush bacon and season with pepper and salt.
- 7Cover, and Stirring often.
- 8(If you like a thicker broth, mash some of the potatoes against the side of the pot with a wooden spoon.) Remove from the heat. (Do not allow to boil after adding the cream as it could break).
- 9Set aside for 1 hour, covered, to allow the flavors to marry. Place the pot over low heat, and slowly reheat, being careful not to bring to the boil. Serve hot, garnished chives.
Browse Our Top Chowders Recipes
Nutritional Facts for New England Clam Chowder
Serving Size: 1 (496 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 826.4
- Calories from Fat 270
- Total Fat 30.0 g
- Saturated Fat 15.7 g
- Cholesterol 202.0 mg
- Sodium 1310.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 73.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.5 g
- Sugars 11.7 g
- Protein 64.0 g