Prep 25 mins
Cook 35 mins
Very rich and creamy chowder served at Skipjack's restaurant in Boston, Massachusetts
- 3 (8 ounce) bottles clam juice
- 1 lb russet potato, peeled,cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 slices bacon, finely chopped
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 1⁄4 cups chopped celery (about 2 large stalks)
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 (6 1/2 ounce) canschopped clams
- 1 1⁄4 cups half-and-half
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- Bring bottled clam juice and potatoes to boil in heavy large saucepan over high heat.
- Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Melt butter in heavy large pot over medium heat.
- Add bacon and cook until bacon begins to brown, about 8 minutes.
- Add onions, celery, garlic and bay leaf and sauté until vegetables soften, about 6 minutes.
- Stir in flour and cook 2 minutes (do not allow flour to brown).
- Gradually whisk in reserved juices from clams.
- Add potato mixture, clams, half and half and hot pepper sauce.
- Simmer chowder 5 minutes to blend flavors, stirring frequently.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Refrigerate uncovered until cold, then cover and keep refrigerated. Bring to simmer before serving).
Very good for a cold winter's night! We loved it! I followed the instructions exactly, but the soup never thickened at all, was very watery (no biggie, but thought I'd mention it). I made the whole recipe & we each had one big bowl. There is plenty left over. Next time, I'll halve the recipe for the two of us. (Meanwhile, we're going to eat it for dinner again tonight!) We had it with salad and sourdough garlic bread - yum!
It was not difficult to make once you get organized. And, boy was this good.
My husband said this was the best clam chowder he's ever eaten. And he's picky about his clam chowder. Loved the bacon flavor and the clam juice made it full of seafood flavor - more than recipes with just milk! I only used 3 cans of clams and it was plenty. Will definitely make again and again!! Delicious.