Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A chowder is a thick soup, main ingredients are milk and potatoes, to which other flavours are added. This is a classic version from New England, flavoured with fresh clams. Got this recipe from a friend/chef from a extremely popular restaurant in Singapore.
- Scrub the clams and put into large pa with a splash of water. cook over high heat for 3 - 4 minutes until the clams have opened. Discard any unopened ones. Set aside cooking liquid to cool.
- Remove the clams from the shells.
- Fry the bacon in a pan until browned and crisp. Remove and drain dry on paper towels, add butter into the pan and melt, add the onion.
- Cook for 4 - 5 minutes until softened, and translucent.
- Add the thyme and cook briefly before adding the diced potato, reserved clam cooking liquid, milk and bay leaf.
- Bring to boil and simmer for 10 mins or until potato is soft.
- Add the reserved clams, bacon and cream. Simmer for 2 - 3 mins until heated through. Season to taste.
- Transfer to food processor and blend until smooth or push through sieve into a bowl.