Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
My sister sent to me. Calls it the best she's had and it's lower in fat than most.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup of sliced leeks or 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3⁄4 lb red potatoes, peeled and finely diced
- 2 (14 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 (10 ounce) can clams, drained
- 2 (8 ounce) bottles clam juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 whole bay leaf
- 2 ounces diced Canadian bacon
- 1⁄4 cup whipping cream
- 1⁄2 cup sliced green onion
- Heat butter over medium heat in soup pot.
- Sauté leeks or onions, celery, and thyme for about one minute.
- Sprinkle flour over sautéed veggies and stir until well coated.
- Add potatoes, broth, clam juice, pepper and bay leaf. Simmer until thick, about 30 minutes.
- Add clams and heat through.
- Sauté Canadian bacon until crisp in separate pan.
- Add cream to soup and remove bay leaf. Do not allow soup to boil.
- Serve in soup bowls garnished with green onions and Canadian bacon.
I can not believe you get so much flavor for so few calories! What a full flavored soup. Thank you so much for the recipe :)