Prep 50 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is comfort food at its finest. It's easy to prepare, and will warm you up from the inside out!
- 1 1⁄4 lbs boneless chicken breasts
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 12 white pearl onions
- 1 1⁄2 cups potatoes, diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup diced carrot
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 5 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 cup light cream
- 1 dash cracked pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon tarragon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 premade pie crust
- Boil chicken for 20-25 minutes until cooked through. Let cool. cut into chunks and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Pour broth into a large stock pot and bring to simmer. Add spices (tarragon, pepper, salt).
- Add onions and celery and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add potatoes and carrots. Simmer 10 minutes.
- Drain veggies and save broth. Put broth into separate pot and bring to simmer.
- Add butter and flour, whisking until it starts to thicken. Add cream and bring to boil.
- Place chicken chunks and peas on the bottom of a 2 1/2 quart casserole dish. Cover with the rest of the veggie mixture. Pour thickened broth/cream over the top.
- Top with premade pie crust. Poke holes to avoid spillage.
- Bake at 400°F for 30-40 minutes.
I loved the addition of the tarragon, as it always goes so good with chicken. We loved this so much that I have promised to make it again soon! A new favorite around here!
This was yummy! I will be more liberal with the salt and freshly ground pepper as well as the tarragon next time--maybe even a sprinkle or two of crushed red pepper. Definitely a delightful dinner!